Projects – How to Quickly and Easily Insulate a Crawlspace
Last year, I paid a professional spray foam company $9,000 to spray parts of my home. This year, I sprayed two 602 AM kits on the ceiling and rim joists of the crawl space. It was a piece of cake and a big success! – Eileen F., NJ
Using Spray Foam for Insulating a Crawlspace
Insulating a crawlspace with spray foam insulation is a great way to stop drafts and pests. Crawlspaces are often big energy wasters and bring all sorts of opportunities for improvement. Foam it Green spray foam makes this project quick and easy to do. Plus you can get much lower utility bills with fewer hassles like pests, rodents, drafts, and smells.
Generally speaking, the main objective of spraying a crawlspace is to seal off the living area. If you are heating and cooling the basement you insulate the walls of the crawlspace. This keeps outside air outside and vice versa. If not, you just do the top of the crawlspace.
Sometimes crawlspaces have dirt floors. You don’t want to spray the dirt floor because it won’t adhere fully. You just need to decide if you want to heat and cool the crawl space. If you do, then you spray foam the outer walls so that the building envelope incorporates the crawl space. If you don’t, then you use spray foam to isolate the crawlspace from the rest of the living area. Makes sense, right?
When you’re doing a crawl space you absolutely want to use our closed cell anti-microbial formula. Please don’t be lured by fiberglass or open cell spray foam. They absorb moisture and rodents and pests love fiberglass. Worse still, fiberglass won’t stay in place and it wont stop air leaks.
And you want something that’s passed the tough ASTM G-21 Anti-Microbial tests. Crawlspaces are known for moisture and mold. This is an important time and place to get this right.
By using closed cell Foam it Green, you’re getting a seamless air barrier and high r-value. That tight air seal can be magical in making your home much more energy efficient and much more comfortable. Foam it Green doesn’t sag or settle, so once you’re done, you’re done.
With all of the above, crawlspaces seem to have the widest variety of how they show up. Please call our friendly Chicago-based team at 1-800-516-0949 to discuss any deviations from the norm. They’ve seen a ton of variations on this theme and will help you find the right solution for your unique crawlspace.
Use Closed Cell Foam it Green for Insulating a Crawlspace
How to Insulate Your Crawlspace
How to Quickly and Easily Insulate a Crawlspace:
1) Follow all of the instructions in the included instruction manual regarding proper Foam it Green setup, project area preparation, and substrate readiness. Make sure that you have all of the tools required for the job. (see Tools)
2) Make sure subfloor surface is dry, broom clean, and in the correct temperature range.
1) Apply closed cell foam to achieve 1” cured layers to desired thickness, sprayed directly to the subfloor bays, making sure the foam is applied to the joints connecting the joists to the substrate. (Fig. 1A-B)
2) Continue adding layers to desired thickness, sprayed directly to the rim joist bay, connecting any seams at the sill plate up to the subfloor. (Fig. 1B-D)
1) If installing polyethylene sheeting on the floor of the crawlspace, only run the sheet up the foundation wall a few inches. Use the closed cell spray foam to adhere the lip of the sheet to the wall, by spraying over it. (Fig. 2A)
2) Apply closed cell foam to achieve 1” cured layers, sprayed directly to the foundation walls. (Fig. 2B-D)
3) Apply closed cell foam to achieve 1” cured layers to desired thickness, between floor joists above the foundation wall, all the way up to the subfloor above.
Call 1-800-516-0949 for help in purchasing your kits.
Additional Closed Cell Kit Details:
The Easy to Use Spray Foam Kit
- Spray foam insulation that’s convenient and easy to use.
- R-Value of 7 in 1 inch – 97% Closed Cell Foam. The best wall, basement or attic insulation.
- Class I E-84 Fire-Retardant – meets building code spec.
- 100% Free of CFCs, VOCs, Penta-BDEs, & Urea Formaldehyde
If you’d like to start saving money and time today, buy Foam it Green Spray Foam Insulation>> now or call us at 800-516-0949. In 60 seconds you’ll be on your way to paying lots less when you use Foam it Green.